Flint is the seventh largest city in Michigan, about 60 miles northwest of Detroit. The population of approximately 103,000 is large enough to offer big city cultural attractions and recreational activities. Whether you’re moving to the city or simply visiting, there’s much to explore and experience.
Notable Historical Facts
Flint was founded by Jacob Smith, a fur trader, in 1819. Since then, the city has been involved in several industries, including trading and trapping, lumber and the manufacture of carriages. Most recently, the auto industry has played the dominant role. Here’s a few interesting historical facts:
- A 1937 sit down strike changed a fledgling United Auto Workers movement into a union of note
- Flint was a major manufacturer of tanks and war materials during WWII because of its manufacturing capabilities
- General Motors was headquartered in Flint until the 1920s, and, for a time, all Chevrolets and Buicks were built at this plant
Enjoying Life in Flint Today
Residents of Flint enjoy numerous institutions, venues and events, including:
- University of Michigan Flint campus which is the state’s fastest growing university
- Flint Institute of Arts, the state’s second largest art museum with over 8,000 works of art, and numerous family and outreach programs
- Flint Symphony Orchestra, performing acclaimed concerts, classical to Holiday Pops
- Flint Youth Ballet and Flint Youth Theatre add to cultural offerings available
- Sloan Museum, Buick Automotive Gallery and Longway Planetarium host more than 100,000 visitors a year
- Crossroads Village is a turn of the century town that offers a glimpse into the past
- Sporting clubs, areas and golfing greens are world class
- Major medical facilities are located in Flint, including the Hurley Medical Center, Hurley Children’s Hospital, McLaren Regional Medical teaching hospital, and the Select Specialty Hospital
The Flint City Calendar of Events keeps track of all the recreational, sports and cultural events. From meeting friends at the Farmers Market or exploring the downtown shops, you’ll be sure to find activities that suit every preference. Life in Flint Michigan is enjoyable all year round.
If you happen to live in or near Flint Michigan, and are interested in a career in the healthcare sector, be sure to visit our “Programs” page and check out our offerings at Charter Health Care Training Center.